![]() |
| Lauren and Jan Photo by Katherine |
There's nothing like being around a big group of 4-H and FFA kids to remind one how accomplished these kids are. Both organizations get kicked around in California by the EdBiz. Not many school administrators, especially in the large urban districts, understand that you don't have to be a farm kid to benefit from these traditional clubs, and that they teach responsibility and other valuable life skills.
What a contrast to compare the 4-H and FFA kids to some of the other young folks one passes when walking through the fairgrounds!

2 comments:
I was not a farm kid, despite not living in any sort of town or city for more than 2 years growing up. I never was into livestock of any kind even though we had chickens at several places we lived. I learned lots of skills and won an award everytime there was any sort of sewing competition. That was back when they gave out first and second and third place ribbons instead of all competitors getting a ribbon.
Do all competitors get a ribbon or trophy now?
I learned sewing skills at home, but the competition for hemming and such was enjoyable. I don't remember learning anything about sewing except how to make a slip stitch. Mama furthered my skill on that. LOL...I just collected ribbons.
Learning to crochet a beanie was quite an accomplishment for me. My mother could not crochet, so I might have never learned. The first time I ever went skating was on a 4-H trip, and several times thereafter.
I rode a yellow school bus from Jackson, MS to Ocean Springs when I was eight-years-old to 4-H camp, my first ever time away from family.
There must have been other things I learned! Those are the highlights, I suppose.
I live in a small town, but city 4-H kids raise rabbits and chickens for exhibition at the county fair. The county kids raise the larger animals.
FFA and 4-H are big around here.
My girlfriend had a hog, one solitary hog she raised in a tiny pen. So, the domestic arts weren't the only things I learned. I can still recite the 4-H Pledge.
PP, the 4-H agenda in California these days is to give participation ribbons to the younger kids (under 9) because competition is "bad" for them. That's because 4-H was taken from the livestock and practical skills people at the University of California and turned over to the education people. You know, the ones who were never in the club themselves? But the parents are still the ones who do all the work, and they do it however they please. State Fair does not do participation awards. When you win a Golden Bear (the ultimate award) at State Fair, you have really achieved something.
There were no small animal projects when I was in 4-H. I took cooking and sewing mostly. Now they have all sorts of small animal projects that are suitable for small kids and city kids. But I, also, have known kids who live in housing developments who kept show rabbits and chickens in their garage.
Our 4-H camp is one of the best things about the club in Sacramento County. Bob is still good friends with his 4-H camp buddies.
Post a Comment